Seasonal Activities and Special Events
NSMS frequently hosts special visitors and events. These activities are an important part of a full Montessori education. In the past, the school has been visited by Officer Friendly, a local dentist, local firefighters, as well as local authors and artists. We also celebrate seasonal traditions and many different holidays. Montessori work linked to these events are available in all classrooms. In past years, the following activities have included:
- A Johnny Appleseed celebration, where students make applesauce with their classes.
- A field trip to a local pumpkin farm.
- Halloween celebrations, both in-class and at an annual Halloween party for students, staff, and NSMS families, where everyone can wear costumes.
- An in-class celebration for Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights.
- An annual Thanksgiving feast for each class, where all students bring an item of food to share with classmates.
- Thanksgiving food donation program where each class collects food for a local food pantry.
- A “holiday express” program in December where NSMS students take an imaginary train ride around the world to learn about different holiday celebrations and traditions.
- A holiday celebration held in class before the winter break.
- A Valentines’ Day celebration including the exchange of valentines in each class.
- Observation of Presidents Day
- Observation of Groundhog Day
- Chinese New Year festivities
- A St. Patrick’s Day in-class celebration.
- Observation of Earth Day
- An annual spring egg hunt for NSMS students and their families.
- A program where each student plants a sunflower seed in class and then watches the plant grow before taking it home.
- An extensive outdoor Gardening program in our Herb, Flower, and Vegetable Gardens.
- Students watch real caterpillars go through their development cycle to become butterflies.